In recent years, Morocco has emerged as a top filming destination, attracting international filmmakers with its stunning landscapes, rich culture, skilled workforce, and lucrative financial incentives. This comprehensive guide will walk you through the process of applying for Moroccan film incentives and explain how to maximize their benefits for your production.
Discover the Alluring Benefits of Filming in Morocco
Morocco’s popularity among international filmmakers can be attributed to successful productions like “Game of Thrones”, “Mission Impossible”, “Indiana Jones” and “John Wick” which showcased the country’s diverse landscapes and cultural richness. With its attractive financial incentives, Morocco has become the go-to location for filmmakers around the world.
Exploring Moroccan Film Incentives: Tax Rebates and Beyond
Understanding the Rebate
The Moroccan government offers an enticing 30% tax rebate for feature films, TV series, TV film, docu-fiction, documentaries, and long-form fiction for the internet.
To be eligible, your production must have a minimum qualified expenditure of $1 million and at least 18 shooting days (including set building) in Morocco.
The Reimbursement Process
Expenses must be processed through a Moroccan bank’s Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV). A local bank account certificate is essential for the local production team to finalize paperwork with the Moroccan tax administration, ensuring a VAT tax exemption for the foreign production. This exemption applies to all qualifying supplier and crew invoices exceeding 5000 dirhams (approximately $500).
Collaborating with a Certified Moroccan Production Company for a Seamless Experience
The Importance of Local Partnerships
First of all, to be able to shoot in Morocco, it’s crucial to partner with a local production company certified by the Moroccan Cinematographic Center (CCM). This partnership will help you ensure your project runs smoothly and meets all the necessary criteria for Moroccan film incentives, guide you through the application process, liaise with local authorities, and assist with securing all necessary permits.
Obtaining a Filming Permit: Your Gateway to Filming in Morocco
Securing the Necessary Permits
After partnering with a Moroccan production company, the next step is to secure a shooting permit from the Moroccan Cinematographic Center (CCM). This permit is an essential component for any project planning to film in Morocco.
Eligibility Criteria for Moroccan Film Incentives: What You Need to Know
Key Requirements for Eligibility
To qualify for Moroccan film incentives, your project must be:
- A feature-length film
- A television series
- A TV film
- A docufiction or a documentary
- A long-form fiction for the internet
Additionally, your production must meet the following criteria:
- Spend at least 10 million dirhams (approx. $1M) in Morocco
- Complete at least 18 days of work in Morocco, including set building
Morocco offers a 30% reimbursement on eligible expenses incurred after 28th March 2022 (20% before 28th March 2022).
Navigating the Application Process for Moroccan Film Incentives
Submitting Your Application
To apply for Moroccan film incentives, submit a request to the CCM that includes:
- Project natur
- Distribution nature
- Planned duration of work in Morocco
- Investment program
- Total planned spend in Morocco
- Eligible expenses in Morocco
- Financial support requested
Meeting Deadlines and Expectations for Moroccan Film Incentives
Key Timeframes to Consider
Within 30 days:
Upon receiving initial approval from the CCM, provide a bank guarantee of 5% of the requested financial support within 30 days (renewable only once).
From the date of your deposit, you have:
- 6 months to commence work
- 12 months from the first day of shooting to complete your shoot
- 3 months from the end of shooting to submit your accounts detailing your spend in Morocco
Receiving Your Support Amount: Understanding the Payout Process
Payout Timeline and Conditions
After 28th March 2022: The Moroccan Cinematographic Center (CCM) transfers the support amount to the production company’s bank account in a single installment within a maximum of 180 days after the commission’s decision on a complete payment request file.
Fulfilling Conditions and Commitments for Production Support
Meeting Requirements for Continued Support
To enjoy the benefits of production support, adhere to the following requirements:
- 1. Grant the Moroccan cultural usage rights (festivals, schools, and libraries) to the CCM for an unlimited term 1 (one) year after the worldwide commercial release, except for audiovisual feature works or documentaries intended mainly for internet exploitation.
- Submit a copy of the film to the CCM, excluding fiction audiovisual works or documentaries mainly distributed online.
- Allow the CCM to use portions of the film for promotional activities showcasing Morocco as a prime destination for film production and tourism.
- Include the statement “This film has received production support from the Kingdom of Morocco” in the film’s credits in the language of the film. The CCM reserves the right to modify this phrase or replace it with a logo indicating the provided production support.
- For fiction audiovisual works or documentaries primarily intended for internet distribution, the CCM may request permission to screen the work during specific cultural events.
- Settle all outstanding payments to Moroccan technicians, crew members, and suppliers contracted by the production, as well as any remaining debts, when submitting the request for production support.
Case Studies: International Productions Reaping the Benefits of Moroccan Film Incentives
Success Stories from Morocco
Recent international productions have successfully utilized Morocco’s film incentives, including:
- “Game of Thrones“: HBO’s hit series utilized various Moroccan locations, taking advantage of the country’s stunning landscapes and financial incentives.
- “Indiana Jones 5“: The iconic franchise reaped the benefits of Morocco’s picturesque settings and film incentives.
- “John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum“: This action-packed film showcased Morocco’s vibrant streets while capitalizing on the country’s enticing financial incentives.
- “Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation“: Tom Cruise’s action thriller harnessed Morocco’s diverse landscapes and tax rebates.
- “007: Spectre“: The James Bond film employed Morocco’s exotic locales and film incentives to create unforgettable scenes.
- “American Sniper“: Clint Eastwood’s war drama utilized Morocco’s landscapes and financial incentives to establish a realistic backdrop.
- “The Little Drummer Girl“: The BBC miniseries made use of Morocco’s production incentives and one-of-a-kind locations to recreate the Middle East’s ambiance for the adaptation of John le Carré’s novel.
Conclusion: Leveraging Moroccan Film Incentives for Your Production
In conclusion, Morocco’s film incentives provide substantial financial assistance and a simplified filming process for international productions. By understanding the eligibility criteria, following application procedures, and partnering with a CCM-certified production company, you can successfully bring your project to life in this vibrant and enchanting country.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What kind of productions are eligible for Moroccan film incentives?
Feature-length films, television series, TV films, docufiction, documentaries, and long-form fiction for the internet are eligible for Moroccan film incentives.
- What is the minimum qualified expenditure for Moroccan film incentives?
The minimum qualified expenditure is $1 million, with at least 18 shooting days (including set building) in Morocco.
- What is the process for processing expenses through a Moroccan bank’s SPV?
Your local production team must obtain a local bank account certificate to finalize paperwork with the Moroccan tax administration, ensuring a VAT tax exemption for the foreign production.
- Why is it important to partner with a certified Moroccan production company?
A certified Moroccan production company is essential for ensuring your project runs smoothly, guiding you through the application process, liaising with local authorities, and securing all necessary permits.
- What is the process for obtaining a shooting permit from the Moroccan Cinematographic Center (CCM)?After partnering with a Moroccan production company, submit a request to the CCM that includes the project nature, distribution nature, planned duration of work in Morocco, investment program, total planned spend in Morocco, eligible expenses in Morocco, and financial support requested.
- What are the key requirements for eligibility for Moroccan film incentives?
Your production must be a feature-length film, television series, TV film, docufiction, documentary, or long-form fiction for the internet and spend at least $1 million in Morocco, with at least 18 days of work in Morocco (including set building).
CAESTUS FILMS: Your Ultimate Moroccan Production Partner
As a CCM-certified production company, at Caestus Films, we have the expertise and knowledge to guide you through the entire Moroccan film incentive application process. Our experienced team will help you navigate the Moroccan film industry and ensure a seamless experience from start to wrap while keeping your production on budget.
Our Services Include:
- Pre-production support: Location scouting, budgeting, and scheduling to ensure your project meets the necessary criteria for Moroccan film incentives.
- Permits acquisition: obtaining all necessary permits in a timely and efficient manner, including the CCM filming permit, aerial and drone shooting permit, and any other required permissions.
- Local crew and supplier management: Access to our extensive network of local professionals, equipment, and suppliers, ensuring you have the best talent and resources available for your production.
- Production logistics: Managing all aspects of production, including custom clearance, transportation, accommodation, catering, and set construction.
With Caestus Films as your partner, you can confidently embark on your Moroccan filming journey, maximizing the benefits of the country’s film incentives and enjoying a hassle-free production experience. Contact us today to discuss your project and learn how we can help bring your vision to life in this vibrant and enchanting country.